Molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by xcntry, Sep 11, 2010.

1. xcntry

xcntry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    I think my Americanaus (?) are molting...

What do I need to look for and what do I need to do to stop this so they start laying again?

They are still eating a great deal of feed but not producing eggs...the weather here in Southeast Idaho has been wishy washy...cold for days then really hot then ok then cold then ok then hot...and, unfortunately, days are shorter, I put out a light to come on and extend the idea of light, but not sure if I did this right...

Thank you for your time and knowledge!

2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

an abnormal amount of feathers is a giveaway to molting.you cant stop it it is the replacement of feathers

3. xcntry

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    Will there be bald spots?

One has had bald spots on her back and around her vent since I got her a month ago. the rest do not seem to be losing an unusual amount of feathers...but I have only had them for a month, maybe I just have not known to watch for this...I will keep my eye on this a bit more...

thanks

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    So are the only two symptoms of molting more feathers than usual around the run and no eggs?

I have a hen who was faithfully giving me an egg every other day, and now she's suddenly stopped, and nothing for a week. I don't notice any more feathers than usual around the coop.

5. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

You might want to check for poultry lice or mites...

6. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I fed my girls a small handful of dry cat food mixed with hot water, every morning for one week: stir, cool and serve.

Their feathers are growing back and eggs restarted. My Cochin hen decided to start laying again under the nest boxes [​IMG] we found 5 eggs under there [​IMG]

--Hugh

7. cletus the rooster

they will also look ragged.no feather shine and there will be some bald spots.it can take up to 2 months before everything gets back to normal

8. xcntry

Jun 5, 2010
    Southeast Idaho
    Quote:two months...wow!

so...do they need the light on? It has been getting down in the 30's at night...I have a timer on the light...but not sure that I have it all set up right...

9. cletus the rooster

that is a lot of feathers to replace and it takes its toll.my big,strong yard boss (Cogburn the BR rooster) is taking it so hard he got beat up.lucky to have saved him.was doing some coop maintenance and seen quite a bit of pecking going on.went to investigate and there he is laying on the ground all bloodied.i dont use a light,i like to let things happen naturally,ie: no artificial light

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by