Molting??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknbuns, Nov 29, 2010.

1. chicknbuns

chicknbuns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi everyone, I am new to the world of chickens and have a new hen that we recently added to our small flock. My question is that she rapidly started losing all the feathers on her back and on her chest, now also her tail feathers. She doesn't have any wounds on her from the other chickens so I'm guessing she is molting? Let me know what you think. Thanks![​IMG]

2. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    It could be molting. Or Do you have a rooster? Is he maybe too aggressive in mounting her? That can quickly defrock a hens back. I would suggest you make a chicken saddle also called hen apron and put it on her. It's getting to cold for hens to be so bare. I just made one out of fake fur for one of my nearly nacked hens. There are instructions somewhere here on the forum.

3. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    It's the right time in the season for a molt. Could also be stress from the move. Was it far? And like detali said, it could be a roo mounting her as well. Maybe a little extra protein to help get her through.

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I agree with the posts above me. Molting is a big possibility, most all my chickens lost every last one of their tail feathers this year. Could be a roo, could be stress from moving, and I'm not sure if mites would act as quickly as you said, but they have been known to cause feather loss. I'd check for mites to just to be sure [​IMG]

5. chicknbuns

chicknbuns Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks everyone, I don't have a rooster just the 4 chickens. She seems fine and doesn't have mites. I'm just going to think its molting and keep an eye on her. Thanks for all your help. [​IMG]

6. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    My Gals are molting at this time. Even yesterday there was an article in our online newspaper Ann Arbor.com about chickens molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by