Molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I just went out to clean my coop and right under where my Brahma roosts at night there are a BUNCH of her feathers! And she looks a bit less fluffy, although not naked anywhere. She is a bit lathargic, but eating, drinking, pooping and moving with the flock as normal, she just seems a little tired or drained. Are these signs of a molt?? No bugs or mites on her either

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Is she laying? I know that she's not over one year old. She is not molting. Chickens molt at a year old and up. We will need more information to identify the problem. I don't think anything can be said yet...

Oh... what does her poop look like?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Her poop looks totally normal, in fact the only way I can tell it's Brahma poop is the size difference.. lol.

She stopped laying about 3-4 weeks ago, and has started losing feathers within the last 4 days or so. No other signs of illness or anything, I have no idea her age, she could be a year but I don't know. She is eating, drinking normally. Just seems tired or drained, paleish comb, and has lost her fluffiness but I held her and she doesn't feel thin in her body. ::shrugs::

4. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:I'm thinking that it could be Marek's. Is it cold where you are? In that case, the laying could just be because it's winter in their small coop... do you have pictures?

5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Yes, it sounds like she's molting to me. Mine's molting right now. It's hard on them, they'll be back to normal in no time.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I sure hope it is not Meraks! She isn't sneezing or having eye problems, and is not acting paralyzed. But I found a lot of her feathers in the coop and she seems a bit off but these are my first chickens I have never gone through a molt.

I hope she is molting. She could very well be 10-11 months old, and nobody else is sick. I have had her for 4-5 months.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Well this is interesting... I'm going to contact someone for you... he knows a lot about this stuff.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  9. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:True! I forgot about that. I have a friend who has one who goes through three a year. Kalie, I emailed the smart guy for you.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a couple of cochin bantams that are still going through molt, it doesn't seem to be as hard on them as the bigger girls. But It's getting extremely cold here in the next few days, wish they'd hurry up and get all their feathers back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by