Molting...?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morgan7782, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Just needed some confirmation I have never dealt with a molting chicken before. This is a 10-11 month old Brahma, eating great, drinking great, acting fine but seems a little tired or drained, pooping totally normal and fine and she stopped laying a little before thanksgiving. Feathers everywhere! She has lost all but 1 black tail feathers, here is a before and after shot, let me know if this looks like molting please! I have checked her and the others for bugs and not seen any, the brahma is the only one losing feathers on head, neck and tail areas. Her head has lost feathers on the left side of her comb in these pictures I think, hard to see.

BEFORE:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CURRENT:

(sorry for quality she was NOT happy with picture taking time)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Yep, she is molting. Maybe it will be a very mild molt.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like molt to me, but check her over real good for bugs mites, lice look at her bottom area around her vent and and around her face too. Mites look like tiny particles of blk pepper. lice are tan in color and are actually easier to see. As long as your not seeing any wounds or blood most likely it's not a pecking problem. I have 3 Brahma hens and they were a year in Oct. they are still getting their feathers back. Hope thats all it is with your girl also.[​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I will check today carefully, thank you all. Mild?? Oh man I would hate to see Moderate lol! Poor girl. Right in the middle of winter too. Thanks for the responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by