molting

Discussion in 'Quail' started by the Pollo Loco, Sep 29, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    ok there are feathers everywhere, I guess they started to molt, how does this affect their laying, if any? I have the new lighting up and running and they start to molt... what's up?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    if they are going thru a molt, egg laying will almost cease. takes about 2 weeks if i heard right, should be fine after that.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Molting can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the health of the bird. If you got the lighting up at the time the molt started, you will have to wait out the molt. Good luck!

4. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    The increase in light probably caused them to molt by tricking their bodies into thinking its a different season. It happens to my cage birds (budgies) all the time, especially if we leave the light on too long such as when we go out and come home late.

Right now, since I'm brooding chicks with a lamp in the same room, they are starting another molt, even thought I cover them at night, it's not totally dark in their cages and it triggers them to molt.

5. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    yes when they molt they do NOT lay. however sometimes my birds take 2 weeks and other times they FULLY seem to molt and look brand new. (especially my a&ms) they become bright white and look nice and fresh n clean. but it might take 3-4 weeks for them to "recover" and start to drop eggs out again. hey they need to take a little rest sometime.. mine lay ALOT when they do... and are very well cared for and in great health.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It takes 4-6 weeks for the feathers to grow back completely, so the length of the molt depends on how long it takes them to dump the old feathers.

7. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Came back to my birds molting :O No eggs before this happened..... Two lonely eggs are going to be put in the bator soon...

8. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    What do they look like when they molt??

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Bare skin spots, rough feathering, tired, almost sickly looking. [​IMG]

10. jenmiller

jenmiller Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Kentucky
    normal or not normal to do it more then once a year?? Also how do you keep them from pecking at the bald spots?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by