Molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    My girls are 24 weeks and I have noticed on Sweetie that she had some missing feathers. Now she has a bit of a bald spot on her back where the tail feathers are. It's about the size of a silver dollar. I thought it was from a dog attach a couple weeks ago. She got out and the dogs pulled out a bunch of her feathers. I wasn't able to see her skin though. That was a few weeks ago. Now I see her skin. I have not seen anyone pull her feathers. I also noticed some new feathers on my girls. We had some days that were pretty cold ( I don't remember how cold ) and so I thought they might be "winter" feathers. Kinda like a dog with his winter coat. I only noticed it on a few of my Sex Links. I didn't see it on my Orpintons or Brahams. I need to figure how to put a picture. I took one a few days ago. What do you think? Molt? If it is a molt how will they be in the winter?

I was thinking their egg production was going down. For the past two days we got 2 eggs out of 12. We got 6 today. The most we have gotten was 9 so that's not too bad. I don't know what it could be.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They're too young to go into full molt but they do have mini molts until they're fully grown. A bare spot though, that doesn't sound right for a 24 week old. Someone has plucked out some feathers or something. Do you have a roo? If so, he is the culprit most likely, from mounting her.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Agree. It's possible she's pulling them out also.

4. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    No roo with the girls. I noticed lice and mites on some of them. I plan to treat today. Thanks!

5. Justhatched

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Agree. It's possible she's pulling them out also.

Why would she pull them out?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Lice/mites or boredom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by