Molting.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Emily1220, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Emily1220

Emily1220 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Florida
    Waiting for that first egg to come after a molt is like waiting for the first egg from a new chicken. But it finally happened today!! Yeah.... the molt is over and the eggs are being laid again!

2. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah for eggs again! Short days made darker by low dense clouds have my 16 hens laying a total of one egg, every other day. Thank goodness for the 2 Speckled Sussex and a Buff Brahma that just started laying cute little pullet eggs!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Congrats! [​IMG]

I know how you feel, it's like a new year of eggs coming again! I'm waiting for my first hen that molted to start up again.

Thank goodness for my olive eggers, they kept me in eggs this winter. They are 1 1/2 and haven't molted yet.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Thank your lucky stars! [​IMG]

But for me I felt like it was worse than waiting for that first egg because I got real comfortable getting 7 to 10 eggs every day then the bottom dropped out. My new girls were not up to speed yet and my 10 veterans were headed onto molt,very frustrating to say the least. As I type today I have 1 RIR still finishing up her molt as well as 2 BRs. Their combs are pink as can be as compared to their flockmates. Hopefully better days are near.

5. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    Molting has really slowed down egg production in my small flock. Thank goodness my Australorp and Black Stars are champs and are laying through the molt [​IMG] Our barred rock and two easter eggers have not restarted laying and the other three I mentioned lay fewer than they normally would but at least they are laying. Enough for my family but not enough to give away. My friends are feeling a bit neglected I imagine [​IMG]. But, I am not eating store eggs unless I absolutely have too [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  6. Henny Loggins

Henny Loggins Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    OMG! This is my first winter with my flock. I adopted the flock and they're all over 2 years old, but I was getting worried! It's been below freezing here in Utah and I noticed a ton of feathers about the coop/yard. I thought it was the molt. However, it's been about 3 weeks without a single egg! I had to buy eggs from the store - I felt like such a traitor!

Is there any time frame in which I should be concerned if they haven't started laying again?

I have 4 hens. 1 is over 5 yrs old. The others are all about 2+ years. And I have a roo.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by