1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by val0808, Dec 25, 2011.

1. val0808

val0808 New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    I am new to raising chickens. I think 2 of my 6 girls are molting. They are Easter-Eggers about 9 months old. My biggest concern is the weather. Do I have to worry about them freezing to death? They are free range in my yard during the day and they have a pen/coop that they go into at night but roost on top of it rather than in it. It hasn't been that cold yet but they've just started molting (I think). Any help or advice would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

They will be fine. You have a coop or shed for them to go into so they will be protected from the icy weather.

3. stewie's mom

stewie's mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    One of my australorps molted heavily last winter...totally bare back and chest. I made a chicken jacket out of flannel. It kept her warmer through the cold months.
    If you search for "chicken jacket" you will get info on patterns. I used flannel because it kind of stretches so you can get it over the wings without pushing their wings in awkward positions.
    (if i can figure out how to post pics i'll post some of the jackets i made).
    also brooder lamps in the coop can keep them a bit warmer but be very careful how you set up the lamp. Not where anything can touch them (chickens or litter etc.), secured well and porcelain sockets.

4. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    do they do cope quite well with the weather but as previously mentioned you can make coats for them. They are usually used for ex battery hens though that are used to be kept in warm conditions and are then put out in the cold when rescued. Your normal hen used to the cold would normally be OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by