1. Dvg1025

Dvg1025 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    Alright. I believe my chickens are starting to molt. I see a good amount of feathers in the coop and there are some starting bald spots on some chickens. This is my first molt... Any advice on how to keep them happy healthy and keep the coop clean??

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    This is the time of year for molting, alright. There will be feathers everywhere and it will look as though your chickens have exploded [​IMG] It takes a good deal of protein to grow new feathers, so you could add more protein if you like. I don't totally know how necessary that is, as they are not putting energy into laying protein rich eggs during this time, but it makes me feel better to give them some mealworms or a little tuna once in a while...

3. Dvg1025

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks for that! I have mealworms and I will try to find other sources of protein too. Do I just have to keep the coop raked out and clean basically??

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I have read that lots of folks put them on "flock raiser" or "gamebird" feed, they have 20%+ protein. They usually feed them this for a month. If by chance they still lay during the molt, you can offer oyster shell free choice.

5. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I could be doing it wrong, but I don't worry about the feathers piling up. I just turn over the pine shavings and some of the poop and feathers with it. I usually sprinkle things with DE to keep it dry and then clean the coop out thoroughly twice a year.

6. Dvg1025

Oct 14, 2012
    what is DE?

7. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Oh, it's diatamaceous (sp) earth. May help with mite prevention, but it's definitely good at drying things out. If the poop is dry, it doesn't stink. If you were to use it, make certain that it is "food grade." Apparently there is a different kind that is used for pools that is toxic...

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

9. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011

TUNA?!?!?!? Really?!?!?!?!? Last year when it got cold (b4 they were of molting age) I gave them cottage cheese and browned ground beef... I don't even know what's a good source of protein for them but any thing to help speed this up they look like little old men w/ bad hair!!!
    Any suggestions on protein sources !??!?

10. theheat

theheat New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    Nashua, NH
    I'm "late" to the discussion, but didn't want to start a new thread. I'm hoping for some feedback. I have an 8 month old hen who started losing feathers on her neck. At first I assumed she was the low woman on the totem pole and being pecked, but then I noticed she is also missing a bunch of feather on her underside. I can't imagine she is being pecked underneath as well, so I'm thinking it's a molt, but isn't she too young? Otherwise, nothing seems "wrong", as she is eating and drinking and pecks and scratches around all day w/ the other ladies and aside from the occasional pecks between them, I have never noticed any aggression. Any thoughts?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by