1. JanetfromDayton

JanetfromDayton Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I have 5 chickens, a mixed breed from Tractor Supply that started loosing their feathers this spring. They have large bald spots, first all around their tails, then on their legs. They eat, lay eggs everyday, and seem normal except for the loss of feathers. I checked them very well for lice and saw nothing. Its been 6 months now and they still don't have their feathers back. It looks like some are starting to come in, but I still find a lot of large feathers in the coop and run. I'm afraid they're going to freeze their butts off. It's getting cold outside. I changed their food last week from the regular layer feed to one that has extra vitamins and Omega 3. Thought maybe a better food would help. I didn't think molting lasted this long? Are they molting or could it be something else? They were just over a year old when it started this spring.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    That is a bit extreme for molting. Have you checked for mites as well?

3. JanetfromDayton

JanetfromDayton Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I've checked them with a magnifying glass and flashlight. Can't see anything. Besides their layer food, they've had lots of tomatoes and greens from my garden all summer. I've been reading other posts and decided to start giving them some yogurt and cottage cheese and I've added vinegar to their water.Anything to try to make them healthy. Even though they don't act sick. Any other suggestions are welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by