1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bucky52, Nov 25, 2012.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i have a two year old hen that stopped laying several weeks ago.she is standing with feathers fluffed.she is eating and drinking.but i can see she does not feel good at all.is it normal for them to feel so bad when they are in a molt?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Growing feathers can take quite a bit of their energy. Is she showing any other signs besides fatigue?

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i found a shelless egg on the roost poop board several weeks ago.thats when she started acting this way.at first i was afraid she was egg bound,but she had laid the day before.i bought her in the house and gave her a warm epsom salts bath and rub her tummy.than i felt up in her vent i did not feel anything.i checked her for mites and lice.did not find anything.i had wormed my whole flock in july.i had posted this on byc and asked for some adviced as i did not know what else to do.never got a answer.so i rewormed her last week.she is one of three hens and they all looked ruffled up and just plain raggety in september.and i started seeing lots of feathers in the coop and run.they were in a molt but it was light.all this week i have been finding lots of feathers where this hen roost,and all in the run.so i'am assuming she is in a molt.correct me if you think i'am wrong.i have been throwing some meal worms in leaves that i put in their run and she will scratch around in them for awhile than she will stand off to the side all fluffed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by