Molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Eddy Chicken, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    Do chickens molt at this time of year? It seemed all of our chickens molted back in October but now we have a Buff Orpington that has lost alot of feathers on her bottom and neck. It seems like they all fell out at once and are still falling out. The coop is loaded with them.

Heck of a time as it's 15 degrees outside. I have a heatlamp in the barn for her to go under if she wants to. She acts normal.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It can happen. I've always worried about those 'off season' molters, but it appears as if they refeather very rapidly.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, I have a few that are late in their molt.

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have one that is going through a molt right now. The other 4 started their molt in November, they are done or just about done getting in their new feathers.

5. Eddy Chicken

Eddy Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    Southern New Jersey
    Thanks.
    Another question. The other chickens seem to go after her since she started molting. She seems to defend herself ok and gives off that broody hen cluck when she's trying to pass through the flock on her way somewhere. Normal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by