Molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmySFL, Feb 3, 2013.

1. AmySFL

AmySFL New Egg

May 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have two White Rock hens and one Golden Comet hen in a 5'x8' enclosure. They are let out to free range an hour a day just before it gets dark and most of the day on the weekends. They are 8 months old and laying one egg a day to one every other day. I am very pleased with this laying schedule. I have noticed that the White Rock's seem to be loosing their feathers on their bottoms around the vent. I am unsure if this is normal this time of the year. Today the high is 68 degrees but it has been a warm winter for us here in South Florida. We have had only a handful of nights in the 40's over the last three months and many days into the 80's. Could they be molting?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It doesn't really seem to look like molting. I'm leaning towards the possibility of the Golden Comet being a featherplucker/eater. Are you finding feathers in the coop or run? If so, I want to change my guess. [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Nope, doesn't look like molting.

Check for mites and lice too - it can cause them to pick feathers out. For mites, check at night in the dark. For lice, check during the day or night around the vent.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    molting wouldnt start there.. It is probably lice/mites. if you check and she has them , I would suggest a nice warm bath, and a blowdryer. "spa day"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by