Molting ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by netty74, Nov 22, 2013.

1. netty74

netty74 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    I am starting to notice more feathers in the coop , Could this be the start of molting ?? This is my first year with chickens and I have read some about molting . My 2 year old Cuckoo Maran is starting to have some white patches in her feathers and I also have notice spines on her wing . I am not seeing any sign of mites or lice , I dust the coop , runs and roosts regulary with DE . Thanks for any help [​IMG] !!!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, your chickens are probably beginning to molt. The "spines" are new feathers that haven't erupted from their feather sheaths. The white patches are either the skin or a white undercolor showing through. Within a few months, the molting should be over.

3. netty74

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    Ok , thanks for your help !!! Should I increase their protein ?? Not all of my chickens have started to molt . I mix layer feed and cracked corn , should I mix some cat food in with their feed ?? Would that be ok for the other chickens to eat even if they have not started to molt yet ??

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Increasing protein would help them grow in their feathers. I'd stop giving them cracked corn (unless you are giving them only a little), as it isn't high in protein, and can decrease the overall amount of protein that they are getting. You can give your birds cat food, mealworms, sunflower seeds, and scrambled eggs to help them molt. It would be fine for the other chickens to eat, even if they aren't molting.

5. netty74

Jul 29, 2013
    Conway , SC
    Thanks for the info :) ! Unfortunately , I have the layer feed and corn mixed together in a large barrel . I will add some more layer feed to the mix . I will give them cat food also . :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by