molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 11langenkamp_w, Sep 1, 2008.

1. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    I have 18 golden comets and im only gettin 4 eggs a day but 12 of them i just bought and then i swicthed feed on them would that make them go into a molt? 12 of them are pullets which started laying a couple weeks ago.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Are they molting?
    Or did you just stop getting eggs?

Any kind of change can be stressful to a chicken - even changing the feed.

Is the new feed as nutritious as the feed you started with? Check the labels. If they aren't getting proper nutrition it can slow down or stop egg production.

3. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    I just stoped getting eggs but the feed im feeding them is 100 pounds of poulty layer ,100 pounds of cracked corn, 50 pounds of wheat and 50 pounds of barley. do you think that would make them be stressed?

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Poultry layer should be the main diet. Cracked corn,wheat,and barley should be kept as a treat only.

Corn,wheat,and barley don't have the protein content of layer feed and when you feed these grains it reduces the total protein in their diet, resulting in less protein than a laying hen requires.

bigzio

5. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Do you see any feather missing? Maybe check the protein percentage of your layer feed. I go by what is in my layer feed, not the pounds.

If it's hot in your area it's not good to be feeding them cracked corn. Cracked corn is harder for them to digest, esp in the heat. That might be the problem.

Cracked corn is good to give as a sparingly treat in winter when it's cold. I give it to mine before bedtime on super cold nights. It helps keep them warm b/c their little bodies generate heat trying to digest it.

Having enough fresh water is another big part in their egg laying capabilities.

If they are molting then maybe give them some extra protein, vitamins, and black oil sunflower seeds as a treat instead of the cracked corn.

6. oldegger

oldegger Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Monclova, OH
    Quote:amem,amen I keep hearing people feeding layers all sorts of feed other than laying feed read the bag total diet every thing a layer needs. extra oyster shell or ground up egg shell if there free range. lots of good treats.
    But if you want eggs give then all the laying feed they can eat

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  7. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:amem,amen I keep hearing people feeding layers all sorts of feed other than laying feed read the bag total diet every thing a layer needs. extra oyster shell or ground up egg shell if there free range. lots of good treats.
    But if you want eggs give then all the laying feed they can eat

Yes, I totally agree!!!!! You must check the nutrient ingredients even though the feed is labeled as LAYER FEED.
    Some layer feeds don't include calcium either. Just make sure you read the labels to know what your girls are getting.

Oh yea, some people claim that feeding them fruit has caused their hens to stop laying. I haven't experienced it yet though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by