molting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by getreal, Nov 20, 2014.

1. getreal

getreal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2014
    u.p. MI
    I am wondering about molting or mites. all my chickens are getting bald just in front of their tails and the base of their necks. Is this the normal places that molt occurs? I do not have any roosters. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. MollsBaldwin

MollsBaldwin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    I would say this is very normal spots for molting, I too have all hens and they are going through various stages of molt. One morning one of my favorite Black Australorp looked like she had completely lost her tail feathers, and there they were, fallen underneath the roost at night. It's just that season for them. As for mites, I've usually heard to look at their feet. If there were mites they would likes very dry and scaley. You could always use a food great diatomaceous earth in your coop to help prevent mites if you are still worried.

4. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    When the chickens are molting they look really dingy and the feathers from neck down to back will start to loose first. I had some and now thyre all grown in for winter! They a looked so yucky for awhile! And my coop was filled with feathers!!!

5. Chici

Chici New Egg

Jul 30, 2014
    I, too, am very concerned. 2 days ago my hen, "Paris" looked full and beautiful.

This is how she looks today:

Is this NORMAL??

6. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    When chickens molt their combs get pale right? I remember reading that somewhere! My girls comb is super pale but she's energetic and defiantly still molting.

7. MollsBaldwin

MollsBaldwin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Yes I have read that is a back Backyard Poultry magazine before. Mot of my ladies have finished their molt, but that favorite Black australorp of mine still looks pitiful. Luckily she has new pin feathers showing all over, so she will be back to her big fluffy self in no time.

8. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    My black australorp is the one with pale comb!

9. whittychick

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    [​IMG]

10. Traphill

Traphill Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    Their combs are pale when they are molting that is natural. When the days are longer and the combs get red again they will start laying in late winter/spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by