1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by girlchicks, Mar 20, 2015.

1. girlchicks

girlchicks New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Trying to upload a picture with the app from from galaxy s5 but it won't let me. My hen appears to be loosing feathers right at the top of her head. The skin is not red or irritated, I have no rooster. She has been having a limp for 3 weeks now but it is getting better but slowly. Could it also be that she is getting picked on due to her limp? She is eating and everything fine and laying. I will try to upload a picture from my desktop.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Are you seeing any pin feathers coming in? The neck is a common place for molting to start, though usually not the top of the head. She could be getting feather plucked by the other birds, the head/neck is a popular place for neighboring chickens to pluck if they are doing it while roosting. Double check for mites/lice also.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to apply some blue kote to her head which may lessen the others chickens desire to pluck her.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

My first guess would be that the other birds are pecking her. Because of her limp, she may not be able to get away from the others as easily as before. Also, chickens tend to pick on weaker birds. Have you seen other hens pecking her?

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Like Wyandottes7, I'm leaning towards picking. However, molting is still a possibility.

8. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    my chickens molt there all the time. It will grow back, eventually... I know mine took couple months, then another hen only took like 2 weeks.. It's different for each chicken!

9. girlchicks

girlchicks New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    Thanks everyone. I have not seen the other girls pecking at her but I would guess it's possible at night while in the coop. Some of the others apear to be loosing some feather also but this is more like fluffy feathers falling out.

10. girlchicks

girlchicks New Egg

Mar 20, 2015
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture of her head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by