Mom acts angry

Larrycauna

Chirping
Oct 11, 2017
I have a 14 week old Americauna hen who has taken over guardianship of 4 chicks now 6/7 weeks old. We let them free range when we are home and they always seem to obey their adopted mom. At times she goes after one of the little ones fow what seems no reason. Almost like they say something to piss her off. It's always short lived and is generally a very short spurt. I tell my wife that the chick just pissed mom off. Sometimes when they fly she will give them hell. At night they all follow her in and go to bed like a good family. I just don't understand those little burst of chicken PMS.

In my experience, that's about the age that broodies tend to break the momma bond with their chicks. It's also about the age when chicks tend to be put in their place by the rest of the flock. It could be a combination of weaning and the littles becoming a PITA.

Sounds like the Ameruacna is a lower ranked Pullet so took up with the Chicks...More of a sub group of Birds...She will be top Hen in her little sub group....Nothing to do with mothering them.The Chicks will not try to out rank her.

In my experience, that's about the age that broodies tend to break the momma bond with their chicks. It's also about the age when chicks tend to be put in their place by the rest of the flock. It could be a combination of weaning and the littles becoming a PITA.
Exactly!

I just don't understand those little burst of chicken PMS.
As you learn more about chicken behavior and society,
you will become less likely to attribute to them human behaviors ;)

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

As @chickens really states, it's unlikely this pullet is actually taking over the nurturing of the chicks. Here's how you can tell if this young pullet is actually nurturing these chicks or simply interacting with them on a peer basis.

A few years ago, I had a six-year old hen all of a sudden out of the blue decide to take over the rearing of four six-week old chicks I had brooded myself. She actually developed broody hormones that put her in the mode for nurturing chicks. The clue was the "broody cluck" she would emit as she interacted with the chicks. Only broodies emit this sound, which is a rapid, low key popping, sort of like an old kiddie push toy sounded like.

It's not unheard of for even young chicks to take over the care of younger chicks. Usually these are Silkies, a breed known to want to be mothers.

Your pullet isn't being "mean" when she pecks at and orders the younger chicks around. This is simply how she communicates. The chicks will let out a startled chirp when she does this, but it doesn't mean they're harmed in any way.

I was thinking along those lines. I started raising chickens aat the end of June. I bought three chicks. When I moved them to the coop then did well. One escaped and we lost her to a predator.(found feathers in the trees). The other were fdoing well then one got sick and died. The other one seemed to help the sick one staying by it side until it died (9 weeks). We bought 4, 2 week old chicks and she has taken very good care of them even though she is now about 15 weeks old and they are about 7. She doesn't seem broody from what I read but she is definately trying to deliver a message to them. 99% of the time they are just together. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I didn't realize how important age was in terms of weeks not months. I am a newbie though.

As @chickens really states, it's unlikely this pullet is actually taking over the nurturing of the chicks. Here's how you can tell if this young pullet is actually nurturing these chicks or simply interacting with them on a peer basis.

A few years ago, I had a six-year old hen all of a sudden out of the blue decide to take over the rearing of four six-week old chicks I had brooded myself. She actually developed broody hormones that put her in the mode for nurturing chicks. The clue was the "broody cluck" she would emit as she interacted with the chicks. Only broodies emit this sound, which is a rapid, low key popping, sort of like an old kiddie push toy sounded like.

It's not unheard of for even young chicks to take over the care of younger chicks. Usually these are Silkies, a breed known to want to be mothers.

Your pullet isn't being "mean" when she pecks at and orders the younger chicks around. This is simply how she communicates. The chicks will let out a startled chirp when she does this, but it doesn't mean they're harmed in any way.
Totally different I hate to say....My silly Speckled Sussex that never went Broody loved Chicks...I panicked one day looking for two Chicks that were only 6 days old...They popped out from under her...Not their Momma...She would always tag along with the Broodys and Chicks...RIP Bonnie...

Back
Top Bottom