mom and babies back to coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelidei, Sep 12, 2011.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Hi Folks.... I have a silkie pullet that hatched 4 chicks. She is beginning to act restless and I am thinking it is time for her to go back to the bantie coop with her friends... what about the babies? They are pretty much feathered out, they do not spend much time under her anymore. Can I bring them all back to the coop or should I wait with the babies.. they are probably 5 weeks old or close to it... Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Anyone?[​IMG]

3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    mama should protect them fine. there can be some casualties in between mama and the other hens. so keep a watchful eye on them within the first few days. make sure that the chicks arent getting beat up too much

4. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Thank you so much... I appreciate your response... will do! [​IMG]

5. JadeMurphy

JadeMurphy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    England
    I didn't take mine out at all. We only have two hens and one cockerel so its a pretty small tight flock.

Our cockerel now seems to patrol the coop, almost to defend mama and chicks, and the other hen carries on her own business.

I guess we were lucky, but maybe you should try it?

6. kelidei

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Just wanted to say mom and babies are doing great! She is a very good mom! [​IMG]

7. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I am glad to hear they are all doing fine. I have one hen that intergrates chicks into the flock just fine, but she is my top hen. My lowest ranking hen, on the other hand, gets pecked on and so does her chicks. I keep her separated until I find homes for her chicks, and then she moves back on her own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by