Mom and Snopes

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by wombat, Sep 18, 2009.

1. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    OK, anyone have any ideas about how I could get my mother to use Snopes? I've been trying and failing for about ten years now. I still get about 10 fake internet warnings, chain mails that will kill a kitten if you don't forward them to 30 people, and all sorts of crap every week. I can take it, not sure about the rest of the extended family mailing lists!

I've even offered to her that she can check with me or the wife first, that worked for about a week.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Make it her homepage...lol.

I have same issue with a family member who I can offend without getting in trouble and I ended up emailing her and telling her not to send them anymore.

Good luck!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Snopes is a mom and pop web page run by liberals. It's a scam. Very unreliable.

4. wombat

Jun 23, 2009
    Quote:Your tin foil hat is in the mail. Wear it with pride!

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    While it is run by liberals, a lot of their information is accurate and I find only an occasional obvious slant. An alternative to snopes is ww.truthorfiction.com. Your best bet is to check both. As for it being a mom & pop place...as the owner of a mom& pop print shop....so what?

But back to the original question...

I had the same problem with my dad. I would just go to snopes myself, copy and paste the information and send it to his WHOLE email chain. After a couple of times, he stopped...LOL

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  6. wombat

Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks, I've tried that before, sometimes it works for a while ... hard to keep up with her, though!

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Can you find out who is sending them to her and tell them about snopes so they stop sending them to your mom?

I tell everyone that I don't send ANYTHING on - any jokes, alerts, chains, warnings, prayer requests, dire threats, skemes and/or pretty pictures stop with me. Nothing bad has happened to me for failing to pass them on. [​IMG]

I just got one of those "you'll get money for every person you pass this on to" chains - I looked it up on snopes and emailed the link back to the person who sent it to me. They haven't sent me anything else, yet.

8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Your tin foil hat is in the mail. Wear it with pride!

[​IMG]

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I put my step mom on my ignore list once. she ended up calling me one day wondering if I was going to make it to a party or something that she was putting on for my sister. told her I knew nothing about it. Thats when she told me she emailed it.

The look on my face prompted her....

what?

Mom, your emails automatically go to my spam folder
    [​IMG] y?

cuz the jokes are funny but not when i get 20 a day per person. I don't do forwards often and if i could, i'd unsubscribe.

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I agree that I wish that some of my well meaning friends and relatives would check snopes or their common sense before sending these warnings on to me.

And if you MUST forward, PLEASE remove all the email addresses from the forward before sending!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by