Mom ate contents of egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennyo, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Jennyo

Jennyo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Our broody hen is sitting on 6 eggs and it's the 20th day. I've just been to check on her to see that there's a broken shell on the floor of the coop and she's obviously eaten the contents!! YUK!! There's no sign of anything like a beak or claws - just the remains of a a thick yellowish liquid. [​IMG]

I have two questions:

1) if she's eaten one is she likely to eat the others?
    2) is it likely that there was a live chick in the one that she ate?

Any other advice would be really appreciated! We don't have an incubator, so can't take the rest of the eggs from under her.

Thanks!

2. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    On day 20 my broody kicked 5 eggs out of the nest- they were all rotten- except one fully formed chick that had a crack in the shell. I think they listen for the babies and kick out the non-viable eggs. She also ate the contents- shell and all!!!! I don't think you need to worry about the "good" eggs still under her. I think the mama knows what she's doing.

3. Jennyo

Aug 21, 2009
    Thanks for the reassurance! I've just cleaned it all up and she's happily sitting on the rest of the eggs, so I hope we'll get some chicks hatching tomorrow or the next day that she'll take care of as she should!![​IMG]

4. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    It's instinct for them to eat it, just like a mammal will eat the placenta of their young. It helps to keep predators away from the area. The smell of rotting flesh will attract other animals that could kill her and her viable young.

I think you'll be fine!! [​IMG]

5. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Never thought of it that way before, perfect sense! One learns so much here!

6. Jennyo

Aug 21, 2009
    YES!! The first live chick has hatched out and is safely tucked under her wing, so she's obviously not a cannibal mama!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by