Mom! Can we move to the Coop NOW?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MyShunshyn, May 13, 2011.

1. MyShunshyn

MyShunshyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    Sperrassoville, OK
    Here are my chickies, they will be around 3 weeks today. We are in OK and the temps have been in the 80s but for the next few days we will have lows in the high 40's at night.
    We had been planning to move the babies into the coop as they are getting pretty crowded in the brooder... are they feathered enough? I am going to put a heat lamp out there.
    The coop is a repurposed 8 x 10 shed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    That is a box full of birds. Takes me back to late last year when mine were that age.

Can you move them outside during the day and bring them in at night when the temps dip?

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I'll be watching this thread...mine are going out at 5 weeks, in cooler New York. I was planning on setting up their old brooder inside the new coop, with one side open, and hanging the warming lamp over it. That way, they have the comfort of their old space if they want it, and the box should keep the heat in. At least, that's the theory. I'm a first timer.

4. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Mine are 5 weeks and I am in New Hampshire. Mine have a place to hang out outside during the day but I worry that that may even be too cool. It's going to be 70 here today. I will be waiting a bit more before they really go outside. Makes me nervous, LOL, I don't want them to freeze. Haha! I am a worrier, can you tell?!

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    they should be fully feathered before they move outside.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

If they've got a heat source in their coop they can move close to and away from as necessary, they can certainly stay in the coop. Just make sure the heat source (if it's a heat lamp) is secured TWO different ways so it absolutely cannot fall into bedding. In a large coop such as yours, you might make a cardboard wall to keep the warmth in a certain area instead of radiating away into the whole space of the coop.

I hope this makes sense.

7. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    I don't think it really matters how young they are. If your coop has everything they need to survive the cool weather without them being fully feathered out, you and them will be just fine. I think they will survive. [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    mother o' chicks72 :

they should be fully feathered before they move outside.

I agree, especially with 40's for the low. Cute chicks you have. [​IMG]

9. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Mine were 4 wks when I moved them outside.. Had some feathers but not all feathers.. from what I was told as long as a brooder lamp is provided for them to nestle under they should be fine. What I did was use one of my "outdoor small animal" fences (about $50 at petsmart)... I set it up inside of my coop placed lots of pineshavings and replaced my regular light bulb with a brooder red bulb.. All of mine have been out for a week now and seem to be doing fine.. During the day with the warmer weather (North Carolina) I turn off my bulb and open the coop doors so they can enjoy the breeze.. [​IMG]

Just make sure you lock them up tight at night. Keeping them inside till six weeks is mostly a precaution for predators.

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    agreed with the couple posters who say "no"

they are about half feathered. with temps still dipping into the 40's, i wouldn't take a chance. just wait a couple weeks until they are fully feathered. it is not just the temps, also, btw. drafts can affect them until fully feathered, also.

to quote the taco bell dog, "i think i need a bigger box" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by