1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mom & Daughter Chicken project - first timers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CmoBurke13, Jan 6, 2015.

1. CmoBurke13

CmoBurke13 New Egg

Jan 6, 2015
    My daughter is 9 and has been researching owning backyard chickens for about 7 months. we are now to the point where we have agreed to get 2-4 chickens this spring. We think we would like 2 Barred Rock and 2 Rhode Island Reds. Is it okay to have a mix of breed?

I am sure I will be reading a lot of articles in the coming months. So happy to have found your website!

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Having a mix of breeds is no problem, especially if they are docile breeds. RIRs can sometimes be aggressive (especially the roosters), but Barred Rocks are robust and strong enough to hold their own with the RIRs. Just be sure only 4 chickens in the flock to get all hens; no roosters or your hens will get over-bred, battered, and potentially, seriously injured by the rooster(s) as it(they) mature. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens for this very reason. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

Yes, it is fine to mix breeds. I have a Rhode Island Red living with two Wyandottes and an Easter Egger. They get along well, most of the time.

4. dragon30276

dragon30276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    Senoia, GA
    Welcome. This will be a great amount of fun for you both. I have RR and BR together with no problem. Both are a good dual purpose breed (good layers and meat producers). Not sure where you are getting your chickens from but I would suggest they be about the same age. Hens for now as a rooster with a flock that small initially may do damage to only three hens. Anyway, i am sure you will get lots of great advise and the best knowledge comes from trying and it seems like you are on your way. Enjoy.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your future chickens! Having a mixed flock is perfectly fine.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

7. lightningcc

lightningcc New Egg

Nov 6, 2014
    I think its great having kids involved! Welcome and good luck. I have black Australorp and silkies mixed.

8. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Greetings and [​IMG]. We're happy to answer any of your questions so please don't hesitate to ask! Good luck with your flock.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by