1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mom diagnosed with breast cancer... UPDATE POST 9

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Iowa Roo Mom, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I know I haven't been on for a while... I guess nursing school has kind of consumed my life. That being said, I could really use some prayers right about now. My mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer, ductal cell. She has the best surgeon in the world on her case (or at least I'm confident in his skills) so I know she is in good hands. He thinks he caught it early, probably stage I, but we won't know of course until after the surgery. The cancer was found in her left breast. She has to go to Des Moines for an MRI of her right breast, since the cancer did not show up on the mammogram, and if it looks suspicious, she will be having a bilateral mastectomy. If it looks ok, she will be having a unilateral mastectomy on the left side only. Mom has an underlying autoimmune disease called Behcet's, so a lumpectomy is not an option because radiation therapy is not an option because of her impaired healing abilities. He will remove a couple of her lymph nodes and biopsy them, and dependent upon the results, may or may not have chemotherapy.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers as we travel this journey that no one should ever have to embark on.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hopefully they did catch it early and she'll recover quick. [​IMG]
    I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. [​IMG]

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

So sorry to hear about this, IRM. Your mom will be in my prayers.

[​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So sorry that I just saw this thread..
    I cant believe this..your poor mother has been through so much already..
    I'm so very sorry to hear about this..:( :fl :hugs

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I just saw this as well!!!! She is in my prayers. Enough is enough for this poor lady!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I'm very sorry about your mom's diagnosis. [​IMG] She will be in my thoughts, and so will you.

7. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Thinking of you and your mom.

Bechet's is evil! A friend of mine has a very sever case.

8. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    Keeping you and your mother in my prayers~ Have you gotten the MRI results yet? God bless you and your family, Theresa

9. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    The MRI came back negative on the right breast. She is scheduled for a left mastectomy on Friday and I am scared to death, but I have to be strong for her. I didn't sleep at all last night. Our next hurdle is of course getting her through the surgery, then hope that the biopsy from the lymph nodes comes back negative.

Can you say... STRESSED?!?

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers, we can use all that we can get. Thanks again...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]'s and prayers send your way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by