Mom hurting them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by favoritekitty, Mar 31, 2009.

1. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hi everyone. I have a newly hatched baby in my brooder box. I had him and three other eggs under a broody, young silkie. She did well sitting on them until this first guy started to pip. She kept poking at the egg. I was able to see him at one time and he had his face and part of his leg open from the egg. I went to close their coop door and she was pecking at him! He was peeping up a storm. I grabbed him and she had to have hurt him because he had a wound on his knee. It looked like she pinched him under his skin and he was bleeding under there. There was also a mark on his face.

I took him inside because as soon as I put him back under her she pecked at him again. It wasnt the "get under me" kind of peck, she was being too forceful and was hurting him. Hours later he has hatched but I feel horrible he is the only one in there [​IMG] We have a few stuffed animal birds for him but he is bopping all around that box.

I guess my question is, does this happen sometimes? She sits on them all this time and then tries to kill him? Should I leave the other three eggs with her overnight?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Sadly it does happen sometimes. There could be something wrong with him, she could be inexperienced or she could be the type that just does not want the babies. I would keep the eggs under her and watch her...see how she does.

3. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    She is about 2 years old and has never been broody until this time. She has also never been around a rooster or mated so that has always stuck in the back of my mind. I really wondered if that would make a difference sometimes. I know their supposed to go broody but what about if the steps getting there arent in order? [​IMG]

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody hen that hatched out 3 bantam ducklings ended pecking at their little tails til they were raw and bloody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by