Mom is done with the babies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cindilou, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    So my lovely ee took care of her babies since father's day and today she decided she was officially finished with mom duties. We had mom and 4 chicks in a minicoop. We have two other coops that we keep hens, called the "big coop" and the "medium coop." The big coop houses the oldest 5 birds and is where the ee came from (making 6 total). The medium coop has 7 hens 4 just starting to lay. The thing is, the ee chose the medium coop over the big coop where she came from. She seems to have dominance over the mediums whereas when all the hens have some free range time she gets put back in the bottom of the pecking order of the big coop. Does any of what I'm typing make sense? I was going to put mom and babies all back in the big coop but I guess I will have to change plans, we may have roos anyways which I can't keep. Anywho, the babies are back in the minicoop until they grow a bit bigger and I can tell ladies from gents.
    Has anyone heard of such a thing? Chicken picking out her own home because she can be higher on the pecking order?

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, I have one chicken who tends to hang with the new girls. The newbies are 10 weeks, the older girls are 25 weeks. So, I'm sure there is something to be said about choosing who one hangs out with.

3. Cindilou

Cindilou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Largo, FL
    Went out and checked on the girls and there is no more pecking going on than usual with her in there. Chicken behavior is so interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by