Mom is sitting now

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coolchickens, Feb 8, 2009.

1. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh boy, this will be my second hatch, I hope. My standard blu Cochin hen has just started setting on her eggs yesterday full time. She has 8 under her. Her first batch last Oct. had only 4 and I added two baby GJ's under her which are all big and running around now. These are all from my new beautiful Cochin roo. so hope these eggs are fertile. He is about 10 mos. old now but has been breeding for about 2 mos. now. When should I candle them to see if they are fertile? I think I over did last time with excitement as I candled like every day until day 18.... I sure hope these are fertile as they will be wonderful purebreds and the mother is a looker!

2. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I wouldn't touch them until at least 5 days, or even a full week if the eggs are dark shelled. And then candle again around day 14. That is what I do, last broody sat on 12 eggs and hatched 9, if I remember correctly. Broody before her was a bantam, sat 8 hatched 8. You must resist the urge to candle! LOL I know it is hard but it will definately affect your hatch rate. Good luck!
    P.S. You may be able to put a couple more eggs under her, if you have them. That's up to you though! Make sure the nest is deep enough that the eggs won't roll out from under her and get cold, been there done that- not fun to lose eggs/chicks to something that could have so easily been prevented.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. coolchickens

coolchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks - I'll wait for the wk then candle. I am wondering if that young roo. was fertile yet as he just started breeding a mo. or so ago. Her last (and first) set I added two baby GJ chicks under her on the day she was hatching hers as I always wanted some Giant Jerseys and they had them in at the feed store. I may check and see what they have in again around hatching time and add something interesting if they have it. I would LOVE to replace my Plym. Rock I lost. This gives me the opportunity to play a little with the type of hatch! ha Thanks again. I'll look at some candling sites as last time I really had trouble telling until like day 18 when they were just really heavy and all dark so "assumed" I had chicks. All hatched, one was smothered by mama 1st day which is a concern with Cochin hens. Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by