Mom left her eggs for an hour and a half before going back to them. she has only been sat on them f

Lauraslittlelayers

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 14, 2011
Hi,
My litttle lavendar frizzle has been broody for over a week. I have put some fertile silver laced polish bantam eggs under her 3 days ago.
I seperated her from the others and she seemed fine. I took her some fresh veg etc and she finally came out to eat and drink. I left her to finish and when I came back to check on her an hour and a half later she had laid down near her food, not in the nesting box where the eggs are. I picked her up and put her back on the eggs and she has been there ever since. will the eggs be dead now? how long can a mom leave them?
Many thanks

My broody Momma's would leave their eggs very rarely, and sometimes go back to the wrong nest and be there for a few hours (have no idea how long, just that the eggs were cold). I would move her back to the nest as soon as I could, usually when I got home from work. Their eggs hatched without incident. I would think that they will be fine after only an hour and a half.

All is normal. My game hens will leave clutch for good hour even when temperature is low. Egg temp drops to point eggs are decidely cold to touch. Hen then returns. Pattern maintained until chicks start hatching, then hen sits tight. Hatch percentage can still approach 90%.

They'll be fine unless she does this every day. My last broody made a habit of staying off the nest for over an hour every day. Needless to say, the eggs I left there never hatched. I put a couple in an incubator for insurance and gave them back to her just before hatch and those are the only ones that did hatch.

Back
Top Bottom