Mom, my beak fell off!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EarthToWitness, Apr 5, 2018.

1. EarthToWitness

EarthToWitness Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    Oshawa, Ontario, CA
    Discovered this last night. I did have the heat source too close to the birdies for a while last night, trying to tweek the temperature. Not sure how else to explain the injury. As far as I can tell she is OK, eating and drinking. Any idea what happened to her? They’re in a large dog carrier. I have no idea what happened.

RESOLVED: Chick supplier has their beaks trimmed by laser- this, supposedly, does not hurt the chick and the beak (tip of the beak, on the top) eventually falls off. It WILL regrow, but less pointy and less destructive as they peck each other, this being the whole reason for the stupid procedure.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The light is outside the crate now. Was it inside before?

3. Quik1th

Quik1th Songster

Mar 18, 2018
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Ack!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Holy Mackerel! She debeaked herself. The wound should heal, though she might be at a disadvantage when trying to assert her position in the flock.

5. chonsey

chonsey Crowing

Oct 17, 2015
    État du grand lac
    Maybe wedged between the cage door & crate.

nerfworthy likes this.
  6. Rachealx4

Rachealx4 Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    East Central Missouri
    Poor baby. I'm glad that she seems to be doing ok!

7. EarthToWitness

EarthToWitness Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    Oshawa, Ontario, CA
    It has never been inside, but I did put it directly in front of the door (it has wiring so the bulb was maybe 2 inches away) and the metal on the door was too hot for the touch so I abandoned that idea. But it WAS there for like an hour or two, supervised. Then I noticed the beak. The injury may have happened earlier in the day. I’m kind of at a loss, really. Ouch.

8. EarthToWitness

EarthToWitness Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    Oshawa, Ontario, CA
    This has happened before when I went to close the door. Almost rang someone’s neck! I’ll keep a close eye on that.

9. EarthToWitness

EarthToWitness Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    Oshawa, Ontario, CA
    Guys, there’s another one with no tip of the beak now too. :( :( And other beaks are looking awfully red. What could it be??? Pecking too hard? I took any dishes or hard surfaces out. What about the marbles in the water? Could they be bashing themselves on that?? Only other thing I can think is maybe the disinfectant hand soap I use to clean their waterer with. ???? I just don’t know :(

10. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    There must be a sharp edge somewhere. Transfer them to a big, cardboard box and see if that stops the issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: