Mom Off Eggs for 8 hours: Will they Survive?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barry Natchitoches, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Last night my back yard flooded. Too much rain for too long.

The other chickens were OK, because they could sleep on their roost.

But my broody's nest was soon to flood, so at 2 am this morning, my wife and I went out in the henhouse to make an unplanned move.

My broody has been sitting for close to three weeks now. In fact, when I went to moving the eggs from the nest she had been living in (which is nailed to the wall) to a portable nest, I felt one that was cracked.

But when I moved her last night, she didn't find her way to the eggs for eight hours.

She IS on the nest protecting them now, but for eight hours, she was not on them.

It was 80 degrees inside the house.

Are the emerging chick fetuses in the egg viable after 8 hours without Momma's protection.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you never know, it depends, I had 3 hens sitting, some of the eggs hatched, there where 8 chicks, at night they went back to the nest with the chicks and now there are 10 chicks, my DH went to clean up the nest and found a new hatchling the hens had been off the nest durning the day for 3 days and this one still hatched with them on only at night, so there is hope

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by