Mom rejecting chick

momto35chicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
billings
We found a second mom with chicks a week ago outside. 5 hatched alive. She has 5 more, and one died while hatching. The chicks are about 8 days now. So mom is up and moving alot. We took an egg that was pipping, brought it under a heat lamp until it hatched. We tried to give it to mom yesterday and she kept ruffling up her feathers and attacking it.
So I took it and waited until dark and put it under mom.
I checked this morning. Mom is still seeing it as bad as her feathers go up.
HELP AND WHAT CAM

After several days, most broody hens have established a very strong bond with their own chicks and will not accept any new chicks into their brood. You will probably have to raise this chick yourself.

Agree with the other's posts. You need to raise the chick. you are the new momma. If you had a new hen just hatching, you could possibly slip it under her when hers hatch and just getting around and dry, but probably you are going to do the rearing of this chick.
Best to you.

Oh dear. Yes you are the mom now.
I would take at least one other to raise with it for several reasons.
It will cry a lot if alone, it will be very hard to integrate just one into the flock, it will have the competition for food having another with it so will eat better.
Then there are the mental health aspects to being an only chick and never seeing others until BAM intro day.

It will cry a lot if alone, it will be very hard to integrate just one into the flock, it will have the competition for food having another with it so will eat better.
Then there are the mental health aspects to being an only chick and never seeing others until BAM intro day.

Excellent Idea. If I had the extra chick to put with it I would. may depend a bit on age difference/pecking of younger chick, but would for sure give it a try.

X2

Back
Top Bottom