1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mom, she pooped and egg on the carpet!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Namaste Mama, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Yup, Chewbaca, our RIR, loves to come in the house. Today she snuck in a left a present right on the carpet. A nice soft shelled egg. I know these are common with new layers, but Chewy is over a year old, so what gives?

2. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    I like her name! [​IMG] The soft shelled egg could be a sign of anything, from calcium deficiency to some sort of illness. Keep an eye on her, to see if she shows any other symptoms.

3. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    Thanks~! My 11 year old named her. We have a a fun time naming our chickens.

:/She seems healthy, running around the back yard. I'm betting on calcium, since I have'nt offered the oyster to them because I thought she'd be ok with out it because of free ranging.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

that is a cute name. Lately I have been seeing more and more people with older hens laying softshelled eggs. Is there any chance it has to do with the daylight shortening??

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    MY pullet laid an egg under the table in our living room once ^.^

6. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Put out some osyter shell out for the hen. This should solbe the problem of soft shell eggs.

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My son brought in two of the hens today because he was worried that they had gotten wet in the rain. He made the mistake of putting them on his bed. His comforter is in the wash. It was not a shell-less egg that one left as a gift.
    One of our dogs is named Kobi which is short for Obiwan Kenobi. He was named by his first owner whose first dog was named Chewbaca. I get a shell-less egg every once in a while even from my oldest hen. I just put out fresh oyster shell and it doesn't seem to happen often.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I brought one of the pullets into the house on Saturday morning as a bit of a joke for DBF. No "gifts" but the first squat happened on our bed.

Not sure how to take that... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by