mom threw out baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dorothy1324, May 22, 2008.

1. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    just wondering if it is normal for a momma to throw out a chick it was the smallest of the 11 and we went out to find it out of the nest box so my husband picked it up and put it back in thinking i just could not get back in on its own the mom did not have any intrest in the chick and would not get it under her to warm it i went back out about 10 min later and it still was just sitting in front of her very cold so i picked it up and brought it in the house to a heat light and it came right around eating and drinking they all have hatched over the last 3 days. any thoughts?
    Momma is a golden campine dad aracauna

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    She possibly thinks it won't survive. Survival of the fittest doesn't usually involve an animal parent taking care of weak siblings.

It may just be the "runt". I had one that I hatched but after about 2 weeks of extra attention you can't tell which one it was. Put a stuffed animal in there with the chick so it has something to cuddle up to and keep it company.

Good luck and keep us posted

3. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had this happen multiple time with my dogs, the grump would push away a pup and we would replace it. I stopped and the puppies died, apparently the grump knew there was some wrong with the pup. It may seem cruel in some eyes, but God had designed animals with senses we don't understand. I could very easily have tried to save the pups, but I didn't as there was probably a major issue that I could not see.

Jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by