Mom with five chicks, single reject inside

Fishychick

Songster
May 8, 2018
Maryland, USA
My one-year-old hen Perky sat on six eggs. Four hatched Mon and Tues, and she left the nest. I brought the two other eggs in to the incubator (that my other hens added to her nest before I marked the eggs). One hatched two days later, and she accepted the baby after a 4 am drop off. The last one hatched about 24 hours ago. The incubator was fluctuating, and Hope was screaming so I put her out with Perky. This morning, Perky was busy feeding the other five and ignoring Hope was was still screaming because she was cold. I watched for a while, and Hope was not doing well. Perky wasn't harming her but she wasn't helping her either. So, I took that as a reject from Perky. Hope is now inside with a Sweeter Heater, water, and food. She, of course, is cheeping a lot. I raised a single chick years ago, and he was very sweet but so noisy like Hope. What can I do to make Hope feel less upset? Should I give her a stuffed animal? I don't want to pull any of the other chicks inside with her. I plan to integrate Perky and her five who are in a run adjacent to the main run with their father and two mothers. The integration will be when they are 5-6 weeks old probably. Once that's done, I can put Hope in that quarantine run to be able to add her to the flock eventually. I'm kind of playing it by ear. I wanted to have a few babies but six is so many! Now, I have 10 chickens! I've never had more than 5 at once. The run is large with a 6'x6' house but I can't let anybody out due to tons of predators. Three species of hawks and foxes all nest nearby. Oh, and I've decided that only one of the babies is a rooster. His name is Dusty. It will be so.

I would pull another chick or two. It's the best for the single chick. Otherwise the single chick will always be alone and have no hatch mates to bond with, nor other chicks to know what it is.

Back
Top Bottom