Moma duck wont take care of baby just hatched

Anna verano

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2020
I first would like to wish everyone is doing well in the crisis we are all facing .
My mama duck laid eggs first time and only 1 hatched & she doesn't want to take care of the baby , I caught her grabbing the baby by his legs & slinging baby around .. i took the baby inside with me .. please give me advice on how to take care of the baby .. thank you so much ..

I’m sorry about the duckling being rejected. I had that happen here also we used a large plastic dog crate for a brooder put towels inside for first week they can be shook washed an reused. I set up a heat lamp and placed the brooder up on a table to keep my dogs out. I had old widow screens I used over the top. The duckling will need at least 85* warmth first week with heat lamp at on end and food an water at the other end. A stuffed animal and a secure mirror will help make the duckling secure feeling. A chick waterer will work 1 st week slightly warm water at first. Feed should be duckling starter or chick starter or all flock crumble.

Here is the little precocious angel

Attachments

• 20200331_094445.jpg
    20200331_094445.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 13
When my Muscovy was hatching Runners last year not same as when it happened years ago. I just brought each egg in as they started hatching and since I don't have an incubator I place the hatching duckling under the heat lamp inside of a small cardboard box with soft cloth under. She had already smashed one so I just kept going back and checking till they were almost ready to get out of the shell. I know not the ideal way but all I had.

What a sweetie!

Are the other babies still under her? If you have an incubator it might be a good idea to put the ones that haven't finished zipping in there, if she attacked that duckling I'm sure she will attack the rest.
I don't think the other 2 eggs are going to hatch but she insists they are .. out of 10 eggs she only kept 3 the other 7 she rolled out the nest .. this is her first batch .. she is very sweet and let's me pet her , I don't understand why she is being mean to her babies she seems afraid of them or just doesn't know what to do next ..

If you do what @Miss Lydia says, I'd put a thermometer under the heat lamp and try to get temp around 99f by adjusting the distance of the heat lamp to the eggs, Maybe put a humidifier near the eggs to try to get the humidity around 60-70 % a water bowl might help raise the humidity also.

Back
Top Bottom