MomaChickJenna

MomaChickJenna

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Hello Everyone,
My name is Jenna, and I raise chickens. I just started this year, and have had some tough luck so far. I started out with 13 chicks. 5 Americuanas and 8 Buff Orphs.(I wanted more, but Husband is City Boy and balked at 13) I was only supposed to have 1 rooster, but as always happens I ended up with 1 of each breed. I was ok with that as they each had their own personality. We were doing good until my shep/lab mix decided she had to try out these tasty critters and killed 1, and attacked another. Then a neighbor dog who lives behind an electric fence came over and killed 5 more and injured 1.(her battery went dead on her collar) I now have only 5 chickens and no roosters. If anyone lives in the Frederick area(or not real far away from there), I am looking for a Rooster(preferably the Amer. that is Red & Black in color) and some chickens. Thank You!!

MomaChickJenna

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Not sure how your dog got to the chickens but the only solution is to keep them separate at all times :( also, if you have chicken wire on your run I would replace it asap with 1/4 inch hardware cloth, which is a very strong gauge wire. I would be letting the neighbor know that they need to pay to replace the birds their dog killed. To find a rooster try posting in your state's thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif

hugs.gif

I used to live in Frederick Md during Desert Storm. At Ft Detrick. Welcome to the forum. It is hard to lose chickens you work so hard to raise. I lost my whole laying flock this past summer. It was heart wrenching. I have new biddies about 6 weeks old. Even so, One night the back of the coop was opened - and I know I closed the latch and lost one and another just vanished and I make it a point to close up and secure the coop every night myself - now I am using zip ties because I am not aware of any predators other than people that can undo the door fasteners.

I hope the rest of your chickens thrive and you find a home for your rooster.

Caroline from Florida

I totally agee with Liz, your neighbor needs to be held accountable for your losses due to their dog. The battery on the collar has probably been dead a long time, or missing. Most people with electric fences do not replace old batteries once they believe the dog is trained. We have that problem in our area and they dogs go after people as well.

You could electrify your chicken fence, and their dog(and yours) wouldn't need a special collar to learn respect for it. Hardware cloth is really a must but, must be properly affixed to the fence frame etc. not just held up with plastic zip ties.

Back
Top Bottom