Moma's dirty eggs, clean them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by citychicken1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. citychicken1

citychicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    I have a broody hen. She is setting on 6 lovely little eggs, except that three of them have poo on them. Just found it today and it was the thick runny type and it had already dried on. I took the edge of a knife and scraped of what I could. My question is should I try to clean off what is left or leave it alone? If I were to clean off the rest, what is the safest way to accomplish this? This is my first "hatch", so many questions! [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Leave it. The mama hen knows more about hatching chicks that any human ever will.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have no broody hen experience, but I wouldn't disturb that broody trance! [​IMG]

4. RedneckChikns

RedneckChikns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    I have plenty of broody hens...mama knows best...dont expect the scraped eggs to hatch as you have just damaged the porous lining of the egg and bacteria can now move in. If you are feeling she is being a really messy mom just move her (get out your potholder gloves as she is not going to be happy) and her eggs, dump her nesting straw and fill it with LOTS OF fresh hay and plop the eggs and her back in....that will go a long way to help keeping the eggs clean. If a hen is broody, trust me, you arent going to make he go un broody by changing her nesting straw. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by