Moments from death...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Camelot Farms, May 12, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

but I think we have saved it.

A lone straggler hatched last night and this morning I sent DD (age 8) to put it in the brooder which is an old bunny hutch with the little side door. The lamp is hooked to the outside and shines through the mesh on the front. Works great. I told her to put the little fella in through the side door so that she didnt have to fiddle with the lamp etc.

I just went out to do chores and something said...check the chicks. So I opened the side door to see if they needed food or water and there laying on its back on the cold wet bedding next to the waterer is the newest chick. GAH!! Text DS who is at the house to come and help me. In the meantime chickie is soaked and shivering so I do what anyone else would do...drop him in the front of my brassiere until DS gets down to barn. He runs back up to the house with the chick and puts him in the incubator and cranks it up to get it warm again. I finish with the chores and go up to house to check chickie. Incubator is only up to 77 cause we have the central air on. Chickie is shivering. I open the vents and blow hot air from the hair dryer into the bator. Get it up to 90 in about 3 minutes. Chickie is now fluffy and dry and moving a bit. Not up rambling around but at least moving.

Poor DD said she put it by the waterer so it wouldnt have to go so far to get a drink. And she didnt want it to get too hot in the light cause all the other babies from yesterday were away from the light so in her mind, they were hot. She feels awful and is checking on chickie every 30 seconds and calling out updates. [​IMG]

2. amberu

amberu In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    wow..your one fast mama!! Good job saving the baby!!

Amber

3. mfrenchcaz

mfrenchcaz Hatching

May 12, 2010
    My babies arrived this morning. One of them (S-L wyandotte) was clearly weaker than the others. when I checked on them, I thought she was dead. I cupped her in my hands and breathed on her for almost an hour and she came around! If she makes it, she will always be my special chicken. :)

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    GREAT JOB!

I too, have saved a chick from death my mammaries.

5. Breasts; feeding babies and saving chickens, one pair at a time.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] Fast action!

8. vatterpa

vatterpa Songster

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    Wow, saved by the boobs! thats a new one

9. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    chickensducks&agoose :

Breasts; feeding babies and saving chickens, one pair at a time.

LOL:lau

10. NurseELB

NurseELB Songster

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    Hmmm... This is the second thread I've read today about a life saving pair of breasts. I may have to write an 'Ode to the BYCer's Breasts'. Sounds like we have some 'big' heroes around here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by