Momma Adopted Babies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tara Black, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Tara Black

Tara Black Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Dover DE
    So I know there is really no point to this, but I just have to share because I'm so happy with my purchase and of my new Momma hen! So we went to this livestock auction yesterday and purchased 2 LB hens, 1 Buff hen, 6 Silkie chicks and 1 blue hen with 15 chicks. It's my first time at an auction and all things considered it went well. We paid $50 for everything and went didn't mind that the blue Momma and Buff hen maybe be mixes, because we just wanted some adult hens since my 10 week old LB and BLRW are a long way off from laying. So we put the Buff and LB outside, but Momma is in a brood box with her chicks and she gladly adopted the Silkies too! I was so happy that she nuzzled them right under her and decided she didn't care that the were little yellow chicks while all her chicks are adorable little blues, blacks and blue black! She is so awesome! [​IMG][/IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Good to hear she accepted them. Keep an eye on them for a few days to make sure but sounds like a winner.

3. Tara Black

Tara Black Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    Dover DE
    So far its been almost 24 hours and she seems to have really accepted them, but I have been keeping an eye out and checking them often, especially since the brood bin is in my house lol. I didn't want to put them out in the coop with the rest of the flock yet, and I'm not sure how well that would even go because she is very protective and bites me every time I change the food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by