1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Momma and baby together Can't feed the baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lost, Aug 14, 2008.

1. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    I have a mom with its baby and with the roo and a aunt. lol. When i give the baby chick feed the big ones eat it all. I tried to think of something i could feed her in. So the big ones couldn't get to. No ideas. Any of ya'll had this problem

2. MissBHaven

MissBHaven Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Maine
    Maybe seperate baby once a day, to be sure its getting some food?? Not really sure, usually the Momma would be sure baby gets some, but sounds like Momma likes the baby food better than her own...

Or possibly feed the bigger ones some treat like bread, then slip the baby some food...

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Make a creep feeder. It's basicly a wooden box turned upside down. Put it up on bricks so the chick can get under but not the adults, put the chick feed in there.

Steve in NC

4. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    If she has access to the ground outside she will feed it what it needs. We have never fed any of our babies raised by mamas (100+ now) chick feed. We let the mama feed them what she sees fit (and yes the babies get the scraps and scratch grains that the mama calls them to eat). We have never lost one or had a sick one due to this (for 7 years). We have lost a couple to predators though. The mama will make sure they eat, as long as she has access to natural foods.
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

5. lost

lost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    ,nc
    thanks you all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by