Momma and baby, when to put with the flock....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I thought I posted this yesterday but can't find it... oh well here is my question agauin. I have a momma and a baby seperated in big dog cage in the coop.
    the baby is approaching 2 weeks old and very active. When can I set them free with the rest of the flock??? Momma is very protective of the little bitty, but I worry she is getting a bit tired of the confinement. She won't leave the baby for anything... it is very difficult to clean out the cage she actually attacks me if I try to pick up the baby. This is my first hatched out chick.. so I am not familiar with what to do... any thoughts??

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So the others have been able to see her and the baby, right? (since you say in the coop) How high up the pecking order is the hen? I'd let her out but watch carefully - with only 1 baby, she should be fine defending the chick. Most hens won't bother a broody mama hen! I'd leave the door to the dog crate open, so she can go back there if she wants to.

3. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I was thinking the same thing, I have the sides rigged up so the baby will have a difficult time getting out. They have been in the coop the whole time, not sure where she is in the pecking order but I know she would probally benefit from some freedom.

Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by