1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Momma and her new baby!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SunnyDayz, Mar 16, 2012.

1. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Tiny went broody almost a month ago... she had a pretty good size clutch of eggs and on the eve of day 21, a raccoon dug into the very back corner of the coop and scooped out 2 brand new hatchlings and a bunch of her eggs :(. I was sure no more would hatch, maybe the eggs got cold or whatever. But 2 days later this little peep popped up out of momma's feathers!

The momma is still sitting on some eggs, but I am not sure if they will hatch at this point :( It is nice that she got one healthy baby out of it all... after losing the 1st few :(

[​IMG]

2. Poultrycrazy mom

Poultrycrazy mom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbiaville, MI
    Sorry for your loss, shes a beautiful hen! i hope all goes well with the one baby!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Nice photo! Sorry about the others.

4. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    What a beautiful photo!!

5. calvincoop

calvincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    At least something good came out a horrible situation. she looks like one proud mama!

6. cute baby, sorry about her losses :hugs

7. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry for the losses. [​IMG]

Fantastic picture, so sweet. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I absolutely adore that photo! You managed to get one of the PERFECT moment!

I, too, am so sorry about the loss of those other chicks - dirty word raccoon!

9. KrazyKhick

KrazyKhick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Sad and happy at the same time. Sounds like raising chickens to me. I'm sorry for the pain, it's awful. Watching a mother chicken with her babies is one of the highlights for me. I love when they sit on mommas back and slide down, lol. Enjoy the baby!

10. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Aww... how cute!! We've only had one hen go broody and that was 3 years ago. There's nothing like the excitement of checking for a new chick every day!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by