momma Brahma's got peeps - do you give your mommas a heat lamp also??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cedarcroft, May 15, 2011.

1. cedarcroft

cedarcroft Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Yay, first hatch of the season. Momma dark Brahma, eggs were easter-eggers and dark brahma (and probably a few, ahem, crosses) [​IMG] She hasn't let me see them but they are probably not all hatched out yet. Also it's chilly, the temp took a drop here (central Ontario). It's 5 degrees Celsius (is that 40 F?) my question to all of you is, when you let momma hatch them out do you also hang a heat lamp, or would that just overheat momma? She's in a hutch about 5x5 feet. Yay babies!!!! [​IMG]

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

First off, Congratulations! I just hatched my first clutch with a broody and it was in the high 20's at night and some days didn't get above 40 and even has a couple of inches of snow a few days after the hatch. Momma did everything, everyone on here said no light needed and they were right. She is successfully raising them within the coop with all my other girls and doing great! They were born two days before easter and momma started bringing them outside when it got a bit warmer and she now has them all free ranging with her. It's amazing that an 11 month old hen is such a good momma [​IMG]

Enjoy the amazing show [​IMG]

3. cedarcroft

cedarcroft Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    What a great pre-Easter 'gift' for you! Congrats & thanks for the support - i couldn't remember what i did last time i had a chicken hen go this early. With the momma ducks i don't do a heat lamp, they are very sturdy & just don't require the heat so thanks for the confidence-boost with this momma chicken. Am going back out now to see if she'll show me what's she's got. Blessings, p.s. i see you do banty brahma lights - i forgot in my signature to include we've got 2 pair banty dark brahmas. When the 2 babies were hatched we named them "rolly" and "po-lly" cos they were so chubby they couldn't get back on their feet if they stumbled & landed on their backsides. I work in an office but hubby works from home so i was calling every few hours to ask "Did you go look and flip Rolly & Po-lly over?????"

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

It was a great Easter with my five new babies. The weather has been a bit rough but they are all well. I tried to find some Buff Brahma Bantam eggs for her to hatch but could only get a barnyard mix. They are so cute though and hoping for some girls. I will never love another breed like the Bantam Brahmas. Your note made me chuckle about your two girls [​IMG] Hoping you post some pics when you get to see them. Enjoy...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by