Momma Chicken Raising Guinea Chicks

Nanny Deb

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2017
NC
Momma chicken was broody and was sitting on golf balls, So I put guinea eggs under her and she is now raising 2 beautiful guinea "chickens":) They are about 5 weeks now. My question is, what to do with them??.. I have 3 separated areas, I for chickens, 1 nursery/sick bay and another for the 4 guineas. I know mamma can go back to coup with the 14 other chickens and a Roo, however the little ones are another story. The guineas I have now are brother and sisters raised together but Im not sure they will take on new ones....Any ideas?????

Momma chicken was broody and was sitting on golf balls, So I put guinea eggs under her and she is now raising 2 beautiful guinea "chickens":) They are about 5 weeks now. My question is, what to do with them??.. I have 3 separated areas, I for chickens, 1 nursery/sick bay and another for the 4 guineas. I know mamma can go back to coup with the 14 other chickens and a Roo, however the little ones are another story. The guineas I have now are brother and sisters raised together but Im not sure they will take on new ones....Any ideas?????
Put the keets where the other guineas can see but not touch them. Watch them and if the adult guineas are not attacking the separating fence, cage, etc. you can release the little ones. If the adults are attacking the separator, wait until they stop their attacks before letting the little ones loose.

Since you only have two adults, they should be pretty accepting to increasing their flock size.

Thanks, I actually have 4 guinea, 2 females and 2 males, but that should work the same dont cha think? The nursery coup is next to the guinea coup and so far no one is showing any forcefulness. I was thinking of moving Mama Chicken out and moving now broody guinea into the nursery shes made a nest in the middle of guinea coup and rain will drown them out. Again what to do with the two 5 week old babies guineas...? Leave them there and hope she ( broody guinea) accepts them?

Thanks, I actually have 4 guinea, 2 females and 2 males, but that should work the same dont cha think? The nursery coup is next to the guinea coup and so far no one is showing any forcefulness. I was thinking of moving Mama Chicken out and moving now broody guinea into the nursery shes made a nest in the middle of guinea coup and rain will drown them out. Again what to do with the two 5 week old babies guineas...? Leave them there and hope she ( broody guinea) accepts them?
The other guineas will be more likely to accept the youngsters than a broody will.

thank you so very much for your help.... Im gonna give her a try next week.. fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom