1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Momma Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lea Rx Queen, May 5, 2011.

1. Lea Rx Queen

Lea Rx Queen Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Hi all, I was wondering if any of you could help me out [​IMG] I'm new with ducks & only bought my two yesterday & today (they're runners). I'm not entirely sure how old they are & I don't know what sex they are (though I've read up on it, I'm hoping I'll be able to determine the sex of them in a few weeks time!). One of the ducklings is substantially larger than the other, I bought it yesterday so it's had a chance to get a little used to it's surroundings etc. The one I bought today is a lot smaller & the larger duckling is seeming to take charge over it, at one point it scooped up the little one & put it in the water.. It wouldn't let it out until it had seen it had drank!! Also, although they've only been together for a few hours, the bigger one has become very protective of the littler one & won't let me pick it up (eventually when I do manage to pick it up, it doesn't mind in the slightest).
    Anyway! Is this a normal sort of thing to be happening? Thanks muchly [​IMG]

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Scooping up and plopping him in the water he might be trying to drown it. You might want to keep an eye on them. The bigger one can and will hurt the smaller one trying to dominate it. Keep a very close eye on them.

3. Lea Rx Queen

May 5, 2011
    Right ok, I will do [​IMG] They're here with me all the time & the water's only a few inches deep.
    Thanks for the advice though.

4. Lea Rx Queen

May 5, 2011
    If anyone else has any suggestions or advice, that'd be great [​IMG]

5. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    I bought 3 Muscovy ducks awhile ago and one was older. "She" seems to be taking care of the younger two also. She doesn't mind when I pick them up though....although I usually pick her up first. Idk, ducks are crazy!! [​IMG]
    I hope in your case its nurturing and not trying to hurt it though. [​IMG]

6. Lea Rx Queen

May 5, 2011
    I hope so too! It does seem to be teaching it things like "here's the food, do it like this!" which is quite cute. And I did manage to coax it out of the cage whilst holding the little one with some food earlier [​IMG]

7. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    It sounds like the bigger one is showing the little guy how things are done! But you should keep an eye on the two to make sure there is no problems, sometimes aggression can be mistaken for 'helping' or 'coaxing'. But also saying that, I have a rooster around 3-4 years old who has taken two young pullets under his wing, teaching them how to roost, forage etc. I do keep an eye on them, but for the most part they are best buds! He even protected one from another rooster after he escaped, well he tried at least, got the stuffing knocked out of him! But he got to save the pullet and I think thats what mattered [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by