Momma Guinea ran off nest, I need some advice please..

lizzard14

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
So we had a female guinea go broody on a clutch of about 30 eggs down in the woods. We normally will not let them do that, but we couldn't find her, then she showed up after 2 days, I locked her up and then followed her the next day and found where she was nesting. It wasn't far from their pen. So we decided to let her stay on them and just see what would happen. Last night or early this morning she got attacked. She is fine, just a few small scratches and missing feathers. I locked her back up. I went and got what eggs were left. There were only 13 out of about 30. I candled them and 10 of them have veins running though them, so I took them and put them with her in a separate pen with the other guineas. She does not seem interested. Have any of you ever done anything like this? Will she go ahead and get on there tonight or is she just done? Also, how long will those eggs last if she isn't on them? It's hotter than crap in the pen so i'm not to worried about daytime temps, for a little bit anyway. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

So we had a female guinea go broody on a clutch of about 30 eggs down in the woods. We normally will not let them do that, but we couldn't find her, then she showed up after 2 days, I locked her up and then followed her the next day and found where she was nesting. It wasn't far from their pen. So we decided to let her stay on them and just see what would happen. Last night or early this morning she got attacked. She is fine, just a few small scratches and missing feathers. I locked her back up. I went and got what eggs were left. There were only 13 out of about 30. I candled them and 10 of them have veins running though them, so I took them and put them with her in a separate pen with the other guineas. She does not seem interested. Have any of you ever done anything like this? Will she go ahead and get on there tonight or is she just done? Also, how long will those eggs last if she isn't on them? It's hotter than crap in the pen so i'm not to worried about daytime temps, for a little bit anyway. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If you want to save the eggs, you need to get them into an incubator or under a hen that is already broody. Do not count on your guinea hen taking care of them.

Well, moving a hen is one of the myth stories. I had moved guinea hens from the wild to safe grounds. But that also depends on the hen to how long shes has been broody. Between 1-10 days of incubation that nest is usually abandoned. And sometimes they will just abandon their nests withought any reasons. But what i know is, the longer she's been broody the less she's to abandon the nest. In warm weathers of spring and summer, most of (any) eggs can survive the outside for as long as 24hours.

Chickens make good foster mother's and usually a rate of 100% is achieved. Put underneath, if not an incubator would, as your last option.

Best wishes ✨ 🌻

Back
Top Bottom