momma has new chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ferretmommie, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ferretmommie

ferretmommie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    ohio
    My silkie has been laying on her clutch of eggs for a long time , today I have seen the first little face pop out from beneath her, so sweet, now my question is do I move her and the babies out of the hen house away fron the other chickens and the roo ? will they pick on and kill the babies or will she do her job ? this is my first time with a new clutch like this so Im kinda wondering what to do?

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I imagine the others will pick on the chicks and also possibly the momma, they may be trampled or pecked, maybe even picked up and thrown. Our broody hatched hers about 7 weeks ago, whilst she was incubating them, we sectioned her off in our chicken barn, then when they hatched we moved her and her chickies outside into her own house and run. I would not advise leaving them around the others to avoid any nasty accidents!! best of luck [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    This is what I have done- may not be the best for you, but I'll give my experience. I don't have another coop to move anyone into, but my husband built a broody box and we moved that into the coop. Once the chicks hatched, we moved them and the mama into the box. Generally they will stay in the box for a day or two until the chicks get a bit stronger and actually begin eating and drinking a bit. Then we open the box and watch to make sure the mama is going to be protective of the chicks. That hasn't been a problem so far for us- they've pecked the snot out of anyone who gets too close to their babies. Once we know the mama will protect them, we usually let them at it. They have stayed in the coop for a couple of days, scratching around on the coop floor, then they slowly bring the chicks out of the coop to forage. Both of my broodies have been/are being really good mothers. None of the adult chickens even try anything b/c they know they'll get smacked down by the mom. BUT, that may not be the case for every flock. It all depends on the individuals in your flock, your setup, how much room you have, all that stuff.

4. ferretmommie

ferretmommie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    ohio
    yes I am fearing the worst for her and her babies ! but I only have 1 coop and i have a seperate pen right now for all of my new teen ducks and chicks . I really dont have a any other place for them besides the brooder box but I really wanted to keep her with them , she has been such a good little broody mom all this time and I really dont want to take them away from her. I was also thinking I have a med size cage and was thinking about putting that in the coop for her and the little ones for a couple days till I think of a good safe solution for them all.

5. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    My EE just hatched eggs on Sat/Sun.. they are living in their normal home with 10 other hens... so far, all of the other hens give mama and babies room. No problems....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by