Momma Hen is bleeding on back end ?

Naptownsurfgirl

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2017
So for a few days now I’ve seen the chicks buying at the mommas back side and she keeps pushing them
Off.

Today I noticed blood and it was dripping from the mommas back side.

What do I do? She doesn’t seem in pain but I don’t know if anyone else has dealt with this before?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 10
How much room have they got? Are they getting outside to roam around for most of the day? I would spray her vent with BluKote daily to hide the red area. Vent pecking can lead to damage of the cloaca, which can affect her ability to poop or lay eggs. How old are the chicks? Is she showing signs of illness, or getting plenty to eat and drink? What do they eat? Pecking can become habit with the chickens, and I would make sure they are getting at least 20% protein in their chick or flock raiser feed.

Thanks - they do not free range yet- only 4 weeks old today - I’ll try to find that stuff to spray on her- they eat Renee chick starter and meal worms and pomegranate seeds- no sign of any illness

I would leave them with the broody, but get them outside. They need to be outside among the flock looking for food and water. I have had broodies who left their chicks early, and if they haven't been out and about among the rest, they won't be able to make it on their own, and may be attacked if she is not there to protect them. Good luck.

That’s what I’m worried about. We live where there are a lot of hawks and owls... they are still so tiny! 5 weeks old and I keep reading about the chicks being succeptable
To disease from the older bird poop if they are around it. Is that true? You think 5 weeks is ok to roam?

I would leave them with the broody, but get them outside. They need to be outside among the flock looking for food and water. I have had broodies who left their chicks early, and if they haven't been out and about among the rest, they won't be able to make it on their own, and may be attacked if she is not there to protect them. Good luck.
Thank you!

Ok thank you- I’ll start today... she has been out when the flick is free ranging but justbeouldnrun back to the chicks- guess that was just her being protective. Ok any thing I can do to keep hawks away??? Deterred?

Back
Top Bottom