Momma hen is rejecting 1 chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Soccerklan, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Soccerklan

Soccerklan Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    Grass Valley, Ca.
    In need of advice. My momma hen was happily raising 5 chicks, they are now 3 weeks old. Yesterday she decided to lay an egg (first one since she went broody) and while she was busy one bigger chickens chased one of her chicks and clipped a toenail which then proceeded to bleed. I took the chick and held her for awhile trying to get the bleeding stopped but whenever I put her down and she rejoined mom it started bleeding again. Finally after over an hour it stopped and I put all the chickens back in their coop. Now momma is chasing the baby away that was hurt and pecking at her. I don't know what to do, she isn't doing it to any of the others. They all slept fine together last night, but this morning she's still pecking the baby. What do I do?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's pretty close to the end of the brooding period for the chicks, so you could simply take all five and finish brooding them yourself, then integrate them with the flock when they are finished.

I would also finish brooding them out in the run itself in a safe pen. That way, they chicks continue to have the benefit of being part of the flock by proximity. They could also begin to mingle with the flock any time using the portal and panic room system of integration I talk about in my article on brooding outdoors, linked below my post.

3. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Hello Soccorklan,
    Although your little one's problem is concerning I would recommend separating the young ones from the adults at this point to protect your injured bird. At their age they do not have to have chicken momma to survive as long as they are warm enough. Ideally during the day they should be kept separate from the main flock but able to see them so they can continue to develop relationships with the adult chickens from the safety of some fencing or wire between them. I endorse Azygous's position on dealing with this issue. Take control of their environment and they will come out of this just fine.

4. tyjorg

tyjorg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2015
    I have read that article before, its a great one. One question where are you located? How cold does it get there at night in February, are cold nights a problem?

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm at 7500 feet in the southern Rockies. I was brooding my chicks all this past month outdoors with temps in the high 30s to start out and not over 70F during the day. My chicks feathered out so quickly they quit using their heat source (heating pad system) at age three weeks. These chicks have been integrated with the flock since age two weeks.

6. tyjorg

tyjorg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2015
    Thats awesome. I started brooding outdoors last year and its amazing. I am in western Washington where temps are very mild, so I was just curious how it worked in colder climates. .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by