Momma Hen left the nest when two chick hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sheila Adkins, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Sheila Adkins

Sheila Adkins Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    and wont get back on the nest for the other eggs. HOw can i hatch them myself. I have them in a shoe box with a light over them to keep them warm for now..

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Have you considered removing the chicks so she isn't distracted by the chickies? If she has just left, that's what I'd do. Let her hatch the rest and then return the babies to her at night.

3. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    I would try to put theme in an incubator if mama has compleatly abandoned them. Hey, she just might of got overjoyed with the newborns, she forgot.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I would remove the baby chicks, and maybe she will continue to sit. Good luck!

5. Sheila Adkins

Sep 19, 2008
    Thanks to each reply.. I will bring chicks in and put in a box and put eggs back.. Great idea.. thanks

6. Sheila Adkins

Sep 19, 2008
    Update , Mama is back on the eggs, chicks are in the house with me under a light.. Happy as can be.. all is great here on the home front. Problem is, her eggs are all at different stages , as the other chickens kept laying in there with her after she already started setting. I did not catch it until there were 12 eggs under her. I candled them all, and they all had chicks in them.. So i left them all. But they will not all hatch at the same time. so i may have more chicks to move out soon. Again thanks for the reply as i did not know what to do.. Sheila

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by